Pages

Sunday, 9 October 2005

Ghetto Fabulous


His Royal Orangeness Karl Willem is back in Geneva for more rest and relaxation.

The two universities of Lausanne supply it with very pretty girls (by pretty I mean some brains as well and not the napintabs* variety. And by brains I mean, Normal and not crazy or vain). Had it not been for my self-restraint, I would have let infatuation get the better of me and cancelled my attendance at Licel's charity concert. But I promised her I would be with her tonight and I never break promises so off I went to Geneva (I found it really really really really really hard to leave Lausanne, so I left my heart....). I arrived at the Gare Cornavin, wandered around a bit, and met Licel and told her that were it not for our friendship, I would have stayed longer in Lausanne. As it turns out, we both were really not in the mood to watch the concert so we decided to head for early dinner. Licel suggested fondue but, as there are Filipino restaurants in Geneva, I told her I preferred some lechon kawali.

First, a walk to my lodgings at Rue de Moleson. When I told Licel that I wanted to live in the Real part of the city I didn't expect her to find a place for me which was truly ghetto fabulous. But don't get me wrong, I love ghettos - it's where you can find the soul of a city. (In fact I'm like Jenny from the Block, I grew up in the 'hood) Okey, to be honest there are no ghettos here. It is friggin' Switzerland after all. But number 4 Rue de Moleson feels as if I were in Manila. And of all places that Licel could suggest for dinner, we found ourselves in a Pinoy cafeteria called "Gambas Ago-go". It's got the mandatory monobloc chairs, plastic table cover, and the enthusiastic Manang. In fact it has the look and feel of a bus station canteen in Manila. It even has karaoke! However, my joy was rather shortlived as they couldn't produce real sisig. We opted for sizzling beef (which was decent), adobo (which was a disappointment as I could have done better), and pancit (passable). After dinner it was time to satisfy Licel's chocolate requirements. I don't know what it is about women and chocolates but I nearly told Licel to stop moaning everytime she took a bite. I would have had it not crossed my mind that eating chocolat is probably the closest thing to orgasm for a girl who has been single for so long. (Last time I saw her, she was doing a Demi Moore and was pursuing an 18-year old boy).

I helped Licel move her girlie stuff to her new flat and walked home alone still unable to forget the girl I met in Lausanne (what if she was THE one, I thought to myself). On my way to the ghettos, I passed by the same Pinoy cafeteria and finally realized why it's called the "Gambas Ago-go". (Unmentionable). I stayed up late watching CSI dubbed in French and a variety show hosted by Anggun (man she is still pretty...). I was kept awake by the incessant flushing noise from the other flats. I would have called the police as it's illegal to flush the toilet in housing blocks in Switzerland after 10pm but I can't tell on my friends from the 'hood.....ayt?

*Napintabs = napintas ngem tab-bed. A disease that seems to affect 80% of women who are considered very beautiful physically.


Another train trip for His Royal Orangeness Karl Willem. We could have taken the direct train, but we wanted to see a couple of small towns so we took an inter-regional train.

I surveyed the taxi rank looking for the new S-Class Mercedes but I couldn't find one. Geneva is certainly poorer than Zurich. I'd rather walk than lower my standards. It turned out that my accommodation was a short 10 minute walk....(and Licel kept complaining that it was far....)

You wouldn't think I was in Switzerland. This looks like a really dodgy motel in Manila. Look at that floor, that lace curtain, that furniture, and that television!

This is ghetto-fabulous if you ask me....the tin can shower.....

Surf-inspired grafitti.....

You'd think that this was a reall baaaad place to be. In fact, this is the place to be.....those warehouses are really nice clubs........

In one of the safest and crime-free places in the planet, I don't quite get the point of this mural. Is it coz I is not from the 'hood?

I kid you not, this is a climbing wall at the local kindergarten school. Finally, a place that still has common sense and puts the fun back in schools. In other countries where there are plenty of blood sucking lawyers and paranoid PTA moms, this would only mean lawsuits galore....

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

i was looking for the lyrics of someone’s latest, funny i don’t know the title so i just typed "blinded by the white lies" (if i heard the song right) and google led me to your blog. strange but i couldn't find the lyrics. im beginning to feel disappointed until i saw the pictures you posted there. I didn’t read your entries coz I usually don’t like reading long notes but your pictures entertained me well. I do not have a blog account and im not planning to sign up anytime soon so I’ll just leave my email add here if ever you feel like reacting violently on my comment. pledesma@add.com.ph

cherise said...

wow! cool pictures!

cherise said...

you seemed to be an intelligent and interesting person, taking PhD in Europe!

you travel a lot! and i liked your Royal Orangeness Karl Willem heheheh

The Nashman said...

HRO Karl Willem is an intelligent and interesting dog. The Nashman is just a loyal servant to His Orangeness

heiko mehnert, theBOBCURTIZmovement said...

...it's an E-class - greetings from germany ;-) heiko

The Nashman said...

Yeah, I should have said I was looking for the CLS-class.....it was a typo....:)