Pages

Wednesday, 5 October 2005

I need to breathe.......

HRO Karl Willem and I are somewhere here by now.....
I'm feeling claustrophobic in the flat lands of middle earth. Growing, living, and working up in the highlands where we are closer to Kabunian my lungs and heart miss the altitude. So today, I am off to the Pearl of the Alps - Saas Fee, a small town 1800m above sea level (same elevation as the family home in Buguias, Benguet) for a couple of days to recuperate from sea-level sickness. The area has 13 peaks above 4000m and has the highest mountain, The Dom, entirely on Swiss Soil. It's very late for summer climbing season and too early for winter climbing but I hope I can find a safe climbing path to 3000m. I'm hoping that if the weather holds, I can move to the Penine range and walk 2/3 up the Materhorn and take a closer look at Monte Rosa....If I get desperate, I can always cheat and find the closest ski lift............then hopefully I can hit the jazz and blues circuit in Montreux (BB King is in lake Geneve somewhere).......for the meantime, I am turning off my cellphones, internet and wifi.........(Incidentally, Happy Birthday to my old Man who turns 54 I think....)

No comments: