Pages

Saturday, 8 October 2005

Lausanne


I'm going to miss this view. It goes well with my breakfast coffee.....

Over breakfast, my host said "The weather hasn't been this bad for 20 years". Nevertheless I enjoyed my short stay, the food, the dogs, and the hiking. With a heavy heart I packed up and was sad to leave just when the weather was improving. In fact it was going to be sunny in the entire Valais. Fortunately, I was invited to return soon (note to myself: get a part time job, save some money, buy own snowboard). My host at the other hotel promised to get the Huskies to pull my mountain bike when I come back.

Much as I would have loved to extend my stay, His Royal Orangeness Karl Willem was invited to Lausanne by Russian Royalty and we were quickly on our way. It was a 3 hour train trip from Brig which gave us enough time to brush up on our French (just as we were about to be comfortable with our Swiss German).

We got to Lausanne in time for lunch and I quickly opted for Kebab. I found one along Rue du Petit Chene which was very busy. Perhaps because the Kebab was really good. Then it was off to the Cathedral to rendezvous with my friend for early afternoon tea. The sun was up and from Montbenon where I stood, Lac Leman (Lake Geneva) glittered and one can just see the French alps protruding across the horizon. Then, I remembered that Uderzo has come out with the new Asterix (Asterix and the Falling Sky) but a quick dash to the Swiss bookstore Payot told me I was a week early from the release (Incidentally, I have never seen so much Japanese Mangga in a proper bookstore! You would have thought that a Swiss bookstore would carry Smurfs instead. Yes, the Smurfs (Les Schtroumpfs) were another French-Belgian creation that were thought to live somewhere in Switzerland).


His Royal Orangeness Karl Willem admires the Valaisian countryside...

Lausanne is a small town and it took me two minutes to memorise the map of the city centre. But then again, I'm in no particular hurry so I don't really mind being lost.....

Rue de Bourg reminds me of Baguio Hilltop market, only less steep but definitely more posh....

For cheap veggies, go to the Swatch vegetable stall.......

If you want a little more luxury, the Esprit veggie store trumps the Swatch veggies....

But if you want to splurge (like me), nothing beats the Cartier veggie stall. I think the motto here is "A diamond is a girl's best friend, but for those lonely nights, she'd rather have talong"

HRO Karl Willem enjoys his Royal walk up and down the hills of Lausanne.

Lausanne is a university city. Ergo, the girls are really pretty, the bars are really hip, and the vibe is very laid back.

Uhm Francois, you have a very hip bar but I think putting touchscreen LCDs in the loo is a bit over the top....Oh what's that? You're supposed to use your nose? Oh, you should have told me, the screens kinda wet right now but I'll remember that next time. Uhm, you might want to have the screen disinfected before the next user sticks his nose........

Blondel is THE place to get chocolats fins. I'm not much into chocolate but Blondel serves the best chocolate this side of the planet.....they can probably solve many addiction problems.....

Come someone please call the UN Human Rights agency? This poor little thing is being tortured. So close, yet a glass window away from pure bliss....

HRO Karl Willem at the Palais de Justice......

HRO Karl Willem tames the Lion

HRO Karl Willem in front of Lausanne's Le Grand Cafe. This is the place to see and to be seen for late afternoon coffee and a table has been reserved for the House of Orange....

Le Grand Cafe gets an HRO Karl Willem "Best Places to Have Real Coffee" award.

I remember the first play I wrote had the first line "Tell William Tell that...."(You have to buy the play from me to know what happened). I once injured my childhood friend from an arrow I shot from a homemade bow. The arrow head was blunt of course but when I saw the welt on my friends chest, I knew that I was a natural.....

3 comments:

athena said...

oh very very good

Isy said...

i miss you. no wonder i can never get in touch with you. you seem to travel around europe. very nice pictures!!! when are you going to visit me in london???

the jester-in-exile said...

i'm envious (but not by much) of all the traveling you're getting. the "not by much" is because i want to have gotten around 'pinas first before feeling any envy.

nice pics and storytelling (especially that of HRO Karl Willem).

about HRO Karl Willem, though, maybe we both have a thing for "people" not from 'pinas? i'd like to him to meet my Charley. i have a feeling they'd get along well ha ha